[pulseaudio-discuss] ALC892 on Clevo P150HM and too many (?) options in pavucontrol

Julian Sikorski belegdol at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:13:45 PDT 2011

W dniu 22.06.2011 15:54, Colin Guthrie pisze:
> 'Twas brillig, and Julian Sikorski at 20/06/11 22:19 did gyre and gimble:
>> W dniu 20.06.2011 10:33, Colin Guthrie pisze:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Julian Sikorski at 19/06/11 20:31 did gyre and gimble:

>>> The amixer -c0 output is infinity more useful for debug than a screenshot ;)
>>>
>>> Col
>>>

>> Here you go.
>
> OK, so something is missing here... it's missing any kcontrols for
> adjusting any surround sound elements.
>

> Every bit of hardware is different, but e.g. on I happen to have to hand
> says (among other things):
>
> Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
>   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>   Mono:
>   Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]
>   Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]
> Simple mixer control 'Surround Down Mix',0
>   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Mono: Playback [off]
> Simple mixer control 'Surround Jack Mode',0
>   Capabilities: enum
>   Items: 'Shared' 'Independent'
>   Item0: 'Shared'
> Simple mixer control 'Center',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>   Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [off]
> Simple mixer control 'Center/LFE Down Mix',0
>   Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined penum
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Mono: Playback [off]
> Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
>   Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
>   Playback channels: Mono
>   Limits: Playback 0 - 31
>   Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]
>

> So something is wrong at the alsa level. You may be able to play back
> 5.1 sound but there are no controls to back that up.
>
> You should try something like e.g.
>
> [colin at jimmy ~]$ pasuspender bash
> [colin at jimmy ~]$ speaker-test -D surround51:0
>
> speaker-test 1.0.24.2
>
> Playback device is surround51:0
> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> Channels count (1) not available for playbacks: Invalid argument
> Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument
> [colin at jimmy ~]$ exit
>

> I expect you'll get a similar failure I get there. If it works correctly
> and you hear things from each speaker separately then I'd be surprised.

I got the same failure:

[julas at snowball2 ~]$ speaker-test -D surround51:0

speaker-test 1.0.24.1

Playback device is surround51:0
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Channels count (1) not available for playbacks: Zły argument
Setting of hwparams failed: Zły argument

> But if it does fail, then it could simply be a matter that the incorrect
> model was detected for your HDA driver.
>
> http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt

I have looked there before, but there are no models listed for ALC892.
It might be the case that the hardware is just too new - this laptop
model came out in January.
I guess I should take this to alsa developers then, do you know which is
the best way to get their attention? Bugzilla? ML?

Julian