[pulseaudio-discuss] ALC892 on Clevo P150HM and too many (?) options in pavucontrol

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jun 22 14:52:05 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Julian Sikorski at 22/06/11 18:13 did gyre and gimble:
> W dniu 22.06.2011 15:54, Colin Guthrie pisze:
>> So something is wrong at the alsa level. You may be able to play back
>> 5.1 sound but there are no controls to back that up.
>>
>> You should try something like e.g.
>>
>> [colin at jimmy ~]$ pasuspender bash
>> [colin at jimmy ~]$ speaker-test -D surround51:0
>>
>> speaker-test 1.0.24.2
>>
>> Playback device is surround51:0
>> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
>> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
>> Channels count (1) not available for playbacks: Invalid argument
>> Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument
>> [colin at jimmy ~]$ exit
>>

>> I expect you'll get a similar failure I get there. If it works correctly
>> and you hear things from each speaker separately then I'd be surprised.
>
> I got the same failure:
>
> [julas at snowball2 ~]$ speaker-test -D surround51:0
>
> speaker-test 1.0.24.1
>
> Playback device is surround51:0
> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> Channels count (1) not available for playbacks: Zły argument
> Setting of hwparams failed: Zły argument
>
>> But if it does fail, then it could simply be a matter that the incorrect
>> model was detected for your HDA driver.
>>
>> http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt
>
> I have looked there before, but there are no models listed for ALC892.
> It might be the case that the hardware is just too new - this laptop
> model came out in January.
> I guess I should take this to alsa developers then, do you know which is
> the best way to get their attention? Bugzilla? ML?

Definitely the alsa-devel mailing list. Their bug tracker is just a
black hole :s

It's generally quite a responsive list. It could be support is already
there in the devel code tree... fingers crossed :D

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]