[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio native protocol

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jun 30 08:10:31 PDT 2011

Hi!

'Twas brillig, and Emil Ohlsson at 30/06/11 15:51 did gyre and gimble:
> I’m currently developing a amplifier with Ethernet interface and I would
> like to be able to use this amplifier as a shared sound card using
> PulseAudio.

Awesome!!!!!

> Is there some kind of documentation on how the native protocol works? Or
> some guide on the structure of the source code. I’ve taken a look at
> pulscore/protocol-native.[ch] to try to understand the protocol but it’s
> a pretty much information to take in all at once, so any comments would
> be very welcome.

Well, the native protocol is a little nasty in this regard. I'm not sure
I would recommend anyone try and implement it outside of the PA client
library itself.

Can you describe some other things about your amp to us so we can maybe
see if there are other, easier and more future proof ways to support it
before deciding if supporting the native protocol is the best option?

1) Does your amp run Linux?

the rest of the questions kinda assume "yes" to the above, but not fully...

2) Would there be a way to use ALSA output from an app running on the amp?
3) Could you run PA itself on your amp?
4) Could your amp accept RTP streams?
5) Could your amp run avahi.

That's probably enough to start with :)