[pulseaudio-discuss] [RFC] allow conditionals in config input files like default.pa.in

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 15:57:11 PST 2011

2011/3/12 Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi>:
> Hi Maarten,
>
> Did you ever get any feedback? At least there are no replies on the
> mailing list.

The only feedback I got was from Colin, at IRC. He suggested that the
.include directive to include a directory (in which files can then be
installed conditionally) could also be used for this.

> On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 00:26 +0100, Maarten Bosmans wrote:
>> It would be nice to have the ability to use @if HAVE_FEATURE@ in the
>> configuration file templates. You could see it either as an extension
>> of the current @VARIABLE@ replacement or as a compile-time variant of
>> .ifexists.
>>
>> Incidentally, does anybody know why these files are currently
>> generated in the Makefile using sed, instead of being included in
>> AC_CONFIG_FILES?
>
> At least I don't know.
>
>> Adding that ability has several advantages:
>>  - The default.pa.in and default.pa.win32 files can be merged.
>>  - The BSDs still use module-hal-detect, so it can be included in
>> default.pa without littering it with [.ifexists module-hal-detect\n
>> load-module module-hal-detect\n .endif] for Linux users, so they
>> cannot be confused by it.
>>  - And thirdly, if sys/resource.h is not found the daemon does not
>> understand the --rlimit-* options, so in that case those lines should
>> be omitted from daemon.conf.
>>
>> Would this be a good change, or are we then preprocessing at too many levels?
>
> Sounds useful to me. In case my opinion matters, you have my
> acceptance :)

Thanks for the review/response. I will post a concrete patch series
shortly to make my point more clear and have a more defined
discussion.

Maarten