[pulseaudio-discuss] Fwd: Re: 2 sound devices, one mostly won't play, but works

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 30 01:19:08 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Doug at 30/03/11 06:48 did gyre and gimble:
> Since I wrote this, I tried to play a radio station that worked fine
> this afternoon.  It was coming out the speaker as above.
> Just a minute ago I "tuned it in" and RealPlayer GOLD said it was
> playing, but no sound came out anywhere!

RealPlayer GOLD??? Really? In this day and age??? :p

I can't remember but I think RP is either ESD based or OSS based.

When it's playing, check what files it has open by doing "losf | grep
real" (assuming the binary name has the word real in it... it might be
rplay or similar so double check).

I suspect it's either using OSS and outputting to a card that's not
wired up to any speakers.

But if in doubt, make it play and run "pacmd list". If the application
doesn't show up there, then it's not using pulseaudio.

If it is using OSS for sound then run it via padsp. e.g. if the binary
is: realplayer, then run it by typing "padsp -- realplayer". This should
make things work. Alternatively ask PCLOS to support osspd instead which
would solve this problem (although really OSS sound output should just
die....)

FWIW, I can't think of a good reason to use a realplayer these days.
Other apps have supported RP streams for years.

> Thanx for your patience.

No worries, happy to help out :)

COl

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]