[pulseaudio-discuss] my paulseaudio is not running as daemon

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed May 18 02:31:06 PDT 2011

[Please try to avoid top-posting. It's considered bad netiquitte on most
mailing lists as it disrupts the flow of reading]

> 'Twas brillig, and Fu, Zhen at 18/05/11 08:05 did gyre and gimble:
>> 'Twas brillig, and Fu, Zhen at 18/05/11 07:50 did gyre and gimble:
>>> I need developing PA client App,so I download pulseaudio-0.9.22 and
>>> run “./configure,make,make install”.After install finished,I run
>>> “pacmd”,but display “No pulseaudio daemon running,or not running as
>>> session daemon”.Then,I run “ps aux | grep pulse”,but display
>>> “pulseaudio –start”.
>>
>> Are you running this as root or a regular user.
>>
>> What does (as a regular user) pulseaudio -vvvv say (I suspect daemon
>> already running or pid file already exists or similar)?
>>
>> Are you using a distro? If so what version does your distro include
>> and did you overwrite you distro version with your self build version
>> or is it now installed into /usr/local instead?
>>
>> Also, I would suggest the stable-queue git branch rather than 0.9.22
>> as this contains several bugfixes on top of 0.9.22.

> I running this a regular user.I download pulseaudio-0.9.22 in
> www.pulseaudio.org, it is now install /usr/local/.

OK, so is the version that is running the distro provided one or your
new one?

Chances are it's your distro version and your self compiled version of
PA are in some way conflicting.

Can I ask specifically why you need to build your own version of PA and
not use your distro version? You said originally you are developing a
client application for PA. Is this the case or are you hacking on PA
code itself? If the latter then you should really use git so that you
can track your changes. If the former (you are just developing a PA
client app), then just install your distros development package for PA
and you should be good to go, avoiding any hassle.

If you really do want to run PA and don't want to over write your distro
version, I wrote a guide some time ago about running PA from git:
http://colin.guthr.ie/2010/09/compiling-and-running-pulseaudio-from-git/

You also did not supply the pulseaudio -vvvv output that would have
aided debugging, but hopefully we can short circuit all that if you are
just developing a client app as you don't need to build your own PA for
that :)

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]