[pulseaudio-discuss] Strange parsing module args?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon May 23 02:02:48 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and marcin at saepia.net at 21/05/11 16:14 did gyre and gimble:
> why following command does not work
>
> load-module module-null-sink sink_description="tuned\ patchbay:\ TCP\
> source\ xxx",sink_name=tuned.patchbay.source.xxx
>

> while this one works:
>
> load-module module-null-sink
> sink_name=tuned.patchbay.source.xxx,sink_description="tuned\
> patchbay:\ TCP\ source\ xxx"
>

> Why argument order makes difference? Is it correct behaviour or a bug?

Neither are correct!

The arguments should be separated by spaces, not commas and the argument
for "sink_description" is actually "description" (although even this is
deprecated as you should now use the more generic "sink_properties"
argument with a device.description= entry.

In the second example above, by using a comma, you're actually just
giving your sink a crazy name without any description at all!

e.g. both:
load-module module-null-sink description="tuned\ patchbay:\ TCP\ source\
xxx" sink_name=tuned.patchbay.source.xxx

 and

load-module module-null-sink sink_name=tuned.patchbay.source.xxx
description="tuned\ patchbay:\ TCP\ source\ xxx"

both work fine.

But a better way of doing it would be:

pactl load-module module-null-sink sink_name=tuned.patchbay.source.xxx
sink_properties=\"device.description=\\\"tuned patchbay: TCP source
xxx\\\"\"

(note that as I passed this ivia the command line, I had to double
escape the escaping!) It would be slightly less nasty looking if it was
in the startup script (i.e. default.pa or system.pa)

HTHs

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]