[pulseaudio-discuss] How to redirect pulse audio through ssh?

Quinn Plattel qiet72 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 09:00:05 PDT 2011

Hi,

I tried the pulse cookie method.  Here is what I did:

- on the local sound server side, I copied ~/.pulse-cookie to the remote
sound client to /etc/pulse/pulse-cookie-n900
- on the remote sound client side, I added the following two lines to
/etc/pulse/client.conf:
  default-server = localhost
  cookie-file = /etc/pulse/pulse-cookie-n900
- on the remote sound client side, I made /etc/pulse/pulse-cookie-n900
permissions 644
- on the local sound server side, I did a ssh -X -R 4713:localhost:4713
<remote-sound-client> "PULSE_LOG=99 pactl stat"
The following output of "pactl stat" follows:
Using shared memory pool with 1024 slots of size 64.0 KiB each, total size
is 64.0 MiB, maximum usable slot size is 65472
Trying to connect to localhost:4713...
SHM possible: yes
Protocol version: remote 16, local 16
Negotiated SHM: no
Connection failure: Connection terminated

and pulseaudio daemon reports "protocol error, kicking client"

So no luck with cookies either.  I could try and upgrade pulseaudio on the
local server side, but it is going to be tricky.

br,
Quinn

Best regards/Med venlig hilsen,
Quinn Plattel