[pulseaudio-discuss] DLNA/Airplay Support

Aditya Rajgarhia adityar7 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 11:34:58 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a DLNA-compliant stereo receiver (the Denon RCD-N7), and
would like to send all audio from my computer to the receiver. This is
feasible in the protocol,  since people using Windows Media Player 12 are
able to select the output device (such as a DLNA receiver or speakers) via a
"Play To" option.

I have been able to have my laptop act as a DLNA server using mediatomb and
make the receiver browse and play particular files from the server. But what
I really want is to stream *all* audio from the laptop. Is this something
that can be done currently?

If DLNA is not a solution for my needs, would Apple Airplay work? I see that
PulseAudio has a feature for "discovering" Airplay devices on the network.
Has anyone tried using this? My receiver supports Airplay as well, but I
need to pay extra $$$ to download the Airplay firmware so if PulseAudio
doesn't support it yet then there is no point in buying the firmware.

Appreciate any info, and let me know if I can help with testing anything!

Thanks,

Aditya