[pulseaudio-discuss] How to debug a "protocol error" message?

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed May 25 13:33:51 PDT 2011

Sorry for joining the discussion late... I haven't read Pulseaudio mail
since last Thursday.

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 09:20 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Yup Maarten's advice is good there.
>

> But what is interesting is that our official 0.9.15 version ships with
> protocol 15, not 16... Your debug suggests the the remote end is
> protocol 16..
>
> This suggests to me that the extensions in the Maemo version are
> non-standard and therefore require consultation with their lists. You
> should check their code to see what commits changed the protocol version
> to 16. It could be that they just backported the changes from our
> version 16 shipped in 0.9.16 (which was an API to select client side API
> detection) or it could be something completely custom.
>
> As I'm not familiar with their modifications, I cannot really help.

Fremantle's Pulseaudio protocol is not compatible with upstream versions
greater than 0.9.15. The changes that bumped the protocol version number
to 16 were originally supposed to go upstream, but the work never got
finished, and the incompatibilities didn't get fixed in time either. I'm
sorry for messing that up.

Quinn asked whether it's possible to force Pulseaudio to use an older
protocol version. That's not currently possible, but maybe it would make
sense to add such a feature? I imagine it wouldn't be too hard. I don't
think there are any other reasonably easy solutions.