[pulseaudio-discuss] Selecting Airplay as PiulseAudio Sink

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun May 29 16:19:48 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Aditya Rajgarhia at 29/05/11 20:24 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi,
>
> I borrowed an Airport Extreme device (it's a fairly new version) from a
> friend with the intent of testing if it works with pulseaudio.
>
> The AEX is connected to the network and I can see it using
> avahi-discover, and also on the "Output Devices" section of "Volume
> Control" in padevchooser. However, it does not show up in the "Default
> Sink" section so there is no way for me to select it as the sink. What
> am I missing here?

Can you clarify what the "default sink" section is? PulseAudio GUIs are
generally the domain of the desktop environment which uses it, so this
could be a GNOME or KDE specific tool.

> Note that I can use raop_play to play files to the AEX so it doesn't
> appear to be a connectivity problem on the AEX side.
>
> I am using pulseaudio 0.9.22 with the raop and zeroconf modules listed
> in system.pa. The output of list-sinks in pulseaudio -C does contain an
> entry for the AEX:
>
>     index: 4
>     name: <raop.Base-Station-6bded3.local>
>     driver: <module-raop-sink.c>
>     flags: NETWORK HW_VOLUME_CTRL LATENCY
>     state: SUSPENDED
>     suspend cause: IDLE
>     module: 30
>     properties:
>         device.string = "169.254.208.42"
>         device.intended_roles = "music"
>         device.description = "ar_airplay"
>         device.icon_name = "audio-card"
>
> I tried to manually set the Default Sink to
> raop.Base-Station-6bded3.local but that didn't work.

How did you manually set it? And what do you mean by it didn't work? If
you set the default, does it not show as the default or do you just mean
that programs are not using it as their default and are still using the
built in hardware? Keep in mind that the "default" in PA terms is not
really used unless all other routing options are exhausted. Changing the
default will not move active streams (well the GNOME GUI does this, but
it's a not something PA does itself).

If you could give more details I can advice more.

Keep in mind that the Airport support is still rather rubbish in lots of
ways (I say this as the author!) and does still need work. Timing and
buffering in particular.

Cheers

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]