[pulseaudio-discuss] using pulseaudio with simultaneous playback from mutiple X sessions

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Nov 12 12:21:50 PST 2011

'Twas brillig, and Ben Bucksch at 10/11/11 03:26 did gyre and gimble:
> Colin, first, thanks for your long, detailled answers!
>
> Just a short reply:
>
> On 09.11.2011 11:56, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Now consider two users on an accessible system: One is visually impaired
>> the other is not
>
> - at the same time. OK, but that's really an unrealistic case now.

No I meant two users on the system. Only one uses the machine at any
given time.

My point was mainly that the control over whether the sounds from the
underlying services (be it mpd or some accessibility layer) should be
user choice, not forced upon them.

i.e. it is up to any given user (the two real user's in the example and
the pseudo-user who controls the login screen - in the case of gdm, it's
a user called gdm).

mpd as a daemon shouldn't be forced upon any user, it should be up to
each user to run some kind of agent that connects to mpd and does the
actual playback.

Architecturally this is IMO the more sensible design, for both mpd
scenario and the accessibility scenario.

Hope that clarifies things.

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/