[pulseaudio-discuss] Configuring alsa mixers in the "off" profile.

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at digia.com
Mon Oct 3 09:12:58 PDT 2011

Hi,

I have some hardware that needs some mixer configuration when selecting
the "off" profile for the alsa card in order to save power. Now that I
think about it, I'm not sure why the driver can't turn off the power
when nobody's using the device... I'll have to ask from the driver
developer.

Anyway, if we assume that there's a valid reason for keeping the device
powered whenever the mixer element isn't in the "Off" position, how
should we handle this in Pulseaudio? My suggestion is to add an "off
path" to profile sets. That is, the profile set configuration file would
have an option in the [General] section called "off-path", which would
have a path name as its value. Whenever the "off" profile is activated,
the "off path" is activated too.

Does that sound ok?