No subject

Fri Oct 7 09:15:04 PDT 2011

           695,7 =B5s/s      13,6        Process        /usr/bin/pulseaudio --start --log-target=3Dsyslog

So it is not about CPU consumption, pulseaudio is economical with CPU as is.

The same thing (also drawing about the same amount of extra juice) happens with this:

root at charly:~# mv /etc/asound.conf /etc/asound.pulse
root at charly:~# aplay -d front /boot/vmlinuz-*
Wiedergabe: Rohdaten '/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.1' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate: 8000 Hz, mono

So clearly, it is the power consumption of the sound chip. I suspect that pulseaudio activates the sound chip even when no sound is being played. Is there any way to have it only access the hardware when at minimum one client is connected (e.g. audio playing)=3F

I was not successful with this shot (old syntax=3F):

add-autoload-sink alsa_sink module-alsa-sink device=3D"hw:0"
add-autoload-source alsa_source module-alsa-source device=3D"hw:0"

Second issue: I have one application (Zoiper) which can only access ALSA at the moment (because it will not allow me to input non-hardware ALSA device names like pcm.pulse). Is there some hack/workaround to get such applications to talk to pulseaudio=3F

Thank you,

Andreas