[pulseaudio-discuss] Re: Optimize PA for mobile usage

Andreas Bauer ab at voltage.de
Fri Oct 7 16:22:18 PDT 2011

> > So it is not about CPU consumption, pulseaudio is economical with CPU as is.
>
> Have you loaded the module module-suspend-on-idle? If nothing is playing
> (and your volume UI isn't showing), the output device should be burn any
> power.

Thanks also. This module was not loaded and indeed solved the issue.

> > Second issue: I have one application (Zoiper) which can only access ALSA at
> the moment (because it will not allow me to input non-hardware ALSA device
> names like pcm.pulse). Is there some hack/workaround to get such applications
> to talk to pulseaudio?
>
> use the pulse plugin from alsa-plugins. Works fine.

Do you mean the plugin which gets activated like this?

pcm.pulse {
    type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
    type pulse
}

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}

This is already setup and works fine indeed for everything but this one application. It will not allow free text entry of an ALSA device, but will instead present only devices listed in /proc/asound/pcm ("real" hardware devices).

I don't care how dirty the workaround is ;) as long as it works reliably to connect this application to PA.

Andreas