[pulseaudio-discuss] alsa ucm in pulseaudio

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Fri Oct 14 03:57:39 PDT 2011

On 10/14/2011 12:40 PM, Feng Wei wrote:
> 2011/10/14 David Henningsson<david.henningsson at canonical.com>:

>>> verb is equal to use case. "use case" is a concept and verb is in the
>>> source code.
>>
>> Ok.

>>> Actually we must map the concepts because ucm is designed for abstract
>>> the complicated kcontrol. In my mind, if we use ucm in pa, the
>>> original profile configuration files and mixer configuration files
>>> will be replaced by ucm configuration files.
>>
>> I beg to differ: In UCM, PulseAudio is not modifying the mixer controls
>> directly, it's just doing calls to alsa ucm library to enable and disable
>> stuff verbs/devices/etc.
> I absolutely agree. mixer controls are hidden behind the ucm.
>> That's why we should not map against existing
>> routines that are mainly for modifying mixer controls.
> If not mapping port, I just can't find the way to do extra things as
> switching mutually exclusive device in pa client. Do you mean still
> using original alsa mixer configurations, not the alsa ucm?

Aha, I think this is a misunderstanding of the word "mapping". There is
an object "pa_alsa_mapping" which IMO should not be used when UCM is
used (it does this in the existing UCM patch set, and I think this is
wrong). When I said "forget about mappings" I meant "forget about using
pa_alsa_mapping in PulseAudio's UCM implementation".

We should probably use the "pa_device_port" object. Exactly how depends
on how Mark answers to my question about constraints/concurrency.

>> Removing the original profile configuration files might be possible in an
>> embedded scenario, but for all hundreds of different snd-hda-intel/AC'97/etc
>> configurations out there, writing UCM configurations to fit all of them is
>> just not scalable. (If so, one would have to write an auto-UCM tool that
>> autogenerates UCM profiles based on present hardware.)
> So I suggest to add a new module alsa ucm card, so that platform
> provider can choose which module to use. If some platform uses alsa
> ucm module, then the mixer configurations in alsa module will be
> ignored.

Have you had a look at the patches for UCM already posted several months
ago, and that I spent quite some time reviewing? Or are you planning to
start over from scratch?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic