[pulseaudio-discuss] Screen casting with PulseAudio

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Oct 18 06:35:59 PDT 2011

On 10/18/2011 12:26 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>      Hello,
>
> One regularly requested feature addition for VLC media player is the
> ability to record desktop audio in sync with screen capture.
> This is theoretically feasible with a PulseAudio sink monitor source. But
> but, I am a it puzzled as how to record the correct source. In this case,
> the default source is obviously inadequate, as it would typically be the
> microphone. In particular, what to do if there are more than one sink, and
> thus more than one monitor??

Hmm. For your use case, it looks like we might need a new "media role"
in PulseAudio for screencast recording, which would default to "the
default sink's monitor", but that the user can change.

Btw, as for recording microphone, that does seem adequate to me, e g if
somebody records things like "Now look what happens when I press this
button".

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic