[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse and audio settings

Maarten Bosmans mkbosmans at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 01:26:26 PDT 2011

2011/10/19 Robert Orzanna <orschiro at googlemail.com>:
> Hello,
> With the new version of pulse (1.0-4) I hoped that pulse will somehow take
> care of my alsa settings which still is not the case.
> All settings, for example set with alsamixer, are discarded after reboot.

Indeed, pulse takes over the volume control. This is by design, so
there's no point in hoping a new version of pulse will 'fix' this.

PulseAudio saves the volumes and reapplies for new audio streams.
Messing with volumes in the lower alsa layer directly is not advised.
If you change volumes in pavucontrol or the gnome volume control,
you'll see that they are preserved after reboot.

> Now I wonder what's the best way to define some settings such as mic and PCM
> level with pulse when pavucontrol does not offer such possibilities?

Why would you want to adjust these settings outside of pulseaudio and
in what way do the sliders in pavucontrol not suffice?

Maarten