[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse and audio settings

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Oct 20 02:24:03 PDT 2011

'Twas brillig, and Robert Orzanna at 20/10/11 07:05 did gyre and gimble:
> I don't see any way how to adjust PCM which by default is set to 100
> by pulseaudio. Hence, I must use alsamixer to reduce the distortions
> caused by the high PCM.

Oops, I didn't see this bit before due to HTML formatting :( (please try
to use plain text if you can).

This is a bug in ALSA. If high PCM values result in distortions then
ALSA is either misreporting the dB values for the PCM channel or
something else is going on. It is correct that PA uses PCM in it's mixer
pipeline and this will not be changed. Any bugs need to be fixed
properly where they occur, not papered over. You should report this via
alsa-devel list.

You can tell PA not to use PCM mixer but it requires that you load alsa
module-alsa-sink manually and pass in the control= param (see the
modules page on the wiki) which can get in the way of hotplug (you'd
have to set your card to an input only profile so that you can load the
sink manually in default.pa to ensure hotplug still worked).

Hope that helps

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/