[pulseaudio-discuss] RFC: Database formats on upgrade - auto-convert and save or just auto-convert

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Sep 4 03:34:09 PDT 2011

Hi,

Generally speaking we'll try and not write stuff to disk if the user
does not trigger a change.

Currently in git master, if we encounter a legacy database format, we
convert it on the fly and then *write it to disk*.

We could avoid the writing to disk without any operational issue (if the
user changes the data it will be saved in the new format quite happily).

The problems are that when we eventually remove support for legacy
format databases, if the user has not adjusted his saved values for a
while, they will ultimately be lost at that point in the future. If we
convert and save to disk, he is "safe".

But writing to disk immediately has it's own risks: I just fixed a bug
in the conversion process of stream-restore for example that basically
wiped out that database - oops. I've now done quite a few tests and all
seems well, but all the same this does carry some "risks".

What do you think the best route forward here is?

 1. Convert on the fly only.
 2. Convert on the fly and write to disk.

Vote now!

  Trac Hacker [http://trac.edgewall.org/]