[pulseaudio-discuss] ask about passthrough support

Lu Guanqun guanqun.lu at intel.com
Tue Sep 6 23:20:13 PDT 2011

Hi Arun,

I have several things unclear about passthrough support:

1. Is it only useful when there's hardware decoding functionality
available? Can I simply test out passthrough with the current ALSA sound
card (some emulations possible)?

2. As right now, ALSA only have PCM interface, how do we pass the
encoded data down? Do we have to use some other driver specific
interfaces? Vinod, recently posted some patches to add compression
interface for ALSA. Is that needed?

3. To be able to use passthrough, do we still need changes on Gstreamer?
Therefore people can simply use something like 'gst-launch xxx'. And
how's that status?

--
guanqun