[pulseaudio-discuss] Setting Bluetooth headset connection to *both* A2DP _AND_ HSP at the same time?

Luiz Augusto von Dentz luiz.dentz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 02:40:07 PDT 2011

Hi Alexander,

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Alexander Skwar
<alexanders.mailinglists+nospam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am 09.09.2011 21:52 schrieb "Johan Hedberg" <johan.hedberg at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hi Alexander,

>> Firstly, you should be a bit more precise: I assume you're talking about
>> having audio streams active to both profiles at the same time, and not
>> about them being connected (but having an audio stream inactive) at the
>> same time.
>>

> Well, let me try to describe what I would like to get.
>
> I want to hear music and i also want to be able to use VoIP.
>
> For music, I need a2dp, for VoIP, I need hsp. But when I enable a2dp
> output/profile in the phonon settings or with the pacmd command, I can no
> longer select the p311 as a recording device in phonon and it is also not
> shown in ekiga and other apps for input (only for output).
>
> When I select hsp, I can select the p311 as a recording device, but when I
> play music in amarok or the like, it sounds terrible (because the sound
> quality of hsp is bad, but good enough for VoIP).
>
> Hsp doesn't really have to be active most of the time, only when I actually
> use VoIP. The VoIP is open all day long. But when I am actually in a call,
> a2dp can (and actually SHOULD) be off. No need to listen to music while
> talking… ;-)

Most headset cannot handle streaming simultaneously in both a2dp +
hfp, but it seems you only need one or the other and for that you can
use the card profile to switch.

>> The default BlueZ behavior when connecting a headset, and also something
>> recommended in Bluetooth white papers, is to always have both profiles
>> connected.
>
> Aha. That is why both connect, when I connect to one in the Bluetooth icon
> in the system tray of KDE.

If KDE uses org.bluez.Audio.Connect then yes both profiles gonna be
connect, but note that only one will be streaming/active.

> Is it possible to get what I would like to get?

Yes, but iirc there is no audio policy to do this automatically for
you, so you gonna have to manually select the profile you want to use
e.g. for VoIP switch to hfp and for media player switch to a2dp.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz