[pulseaudio-discuss] Proposal for new media role: fmradio

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Sep 14 20:47:25 PDT 2011

   Hello,

On Tuesday 13 September 2011, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 17:20 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> > On 09/13/2011 02:58 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I suggest a new media role to be added to the official list of roles:
> > > "fmradio". It would be primarily useful for capture streams - I don't
> > > know if it makes any sense for playback streams. The routing policy
> > > could then route FM radio capture streams automatically to an FM radio
> > > source.
> > >
> > > Any objections?

This does NOT belong in PulseAudio. An FM receiver application will tune the
V4L2 device directly, and thus needs to open the corresponding ALSA capture
device (possibly through PulseAudio).

Reinventing V4L2 through PulseAudio is a bad idea. I am definitely not going to
support this in my application(s).

> > Any reason you would prefer "fmradio" over just "radio"?
>
> The use case that I have in mind is an application that wants to capture
> FM radio. The application has an interface for tuning the station. The
> application probably doesn't want to capture from an AM radio or an
> internet radio source, because that's not what it's made for - the
> tuning interface doesn't make any sense in that case.

Well exactly V4L2 supports AM, and Linux-DVB will probably support DAB sooner
or later. Not sure about other standards. And I don't mention other settings
and custom controls...

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.info