[pulseaudio-discuss] ubuntu usb "desktop-server" with single user and constant audio feed from mpd

Martin Hamant martin at sound4.biz
Fri Sep 16 02:19:49 PDT 2011

Hi there,

I need to setup a server that permanently plays audio by mpd thru
pulseaudio. With or without X/gnome started. Means pulseaudio and mpd
should start before the graphical part.
There will be only one unique user on this box.

using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, pulseaudio daemon starts thanks to the
auto-spawn feature, when a gnome user logs in -  the issue is,  if I
start mpd (or any software that use pulseaudio) before gnome, it'll
spawn a pulseaudio daemon that belongs to the mpd user. So I get two
pulseaudio instances: one which belongs to mpd, the other to my unique
system user... But here I need my system user to "supervise" volumes and
pulseaudio properties for the whole system !

if I delay mpd startup (by modifying init.d script....), all's going
well - as it connects to the existing pulseaudio instance. But I don't
feel good about that  "strap".

In a common usage you won't really notice what I describe here, but as I
am running this ubuntu from a USB stick, there is a period of time
before gnome starts where any program that use pulseaudio will start its
own instance.

Of course the solution that comes in mind is System Mode. Not good.
Second: delays => not good
So... What is the best pratice to do that ? Is running mpd as the user
which runs the gnome session is a working /or good solution ?

Thanks !!