[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio overwrites alsa settings

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Sun Sep 18 02:23:05 PDT 2011

On 09/17/2011 03:37 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and orschiro at googlemail.com at 17/09/11 11:51 did gyre
> and gimble:
>> Unfortunately I did not receive your reply.
>>
>> Here is the output of
>> amixer -c0 http://pastebin.com/zv8x7Cht
>> and of pacmd ls http://pastebin.com/8spQJd1W
>>
>> As a GUI I use pavucontrol but there I cannot change the volume of the
>> internal mic. With alsamixer on the other hand I can adapt it.
>
>  From what I can tell, your amixer output is claiming to only have one
> control capable of adjusting "capture volume" (cvolume) and that is the
> "Digital" control. Both the "Internal Mic" and "Docking Mic" are showing
> up as pvolume (playback volume) and thus PA is not using them for
> adjusting the capture volume.
>
> David, have I interpreted this right? Is this just a problem at the alsa
> level?

"Capabilities: volume"

...means a volume control that affects both playback and recording. So
that looks ok.

Orschiro should have both an "Internal Mic" port and a "Docking Station
Mic" port, and be able to select the "Internal Mic" one. From the pacmd
ls it doesn't seem to be that way. This is probably a bug, but since no
more releases of 0.9.23 are planned, I wouldn't spend time on it unless
it is also a problem in 0.99.x.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic