[pulseaudio-discuss] Routing questions of module-switch-on-connect, module-device-manager and device profiles

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Sep 20 23:16:23 PDT 2011

On 09/21/2011 05:41 AM, Lin, Mengdong wrote:
> Hi Col,
>
> Thanks a lot for your advice and guiding me to the great design doc of routing! I hope to continue the discussion from the other thread http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2011-September/011374.html
>
> I have some concerns with module-switch-on-connect (m-s-on-c), module-device-manager (m-d-m) and device profiles:
> 1. m-s-on-c can route audio to the new connected sink/source, and the new device will become the default sink/source (or become the top of default priority list in the future).
>    But when a port becomes available on a non-default device (not of highest priority), audio will not be routed to that device's new active port.
>    (from David's patch http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2011-August/011167.html)
>    So if user is playing music via HDMI and then want to use the wired-headset (a port on ALSA sink), he cannot just plug in the headset but still need disconnect HDMI manually.
>    I would be more convenient if m-s-on-c treats the port more like a device, i.e. can route audio to the device with a new available port no matter the device is default or not. The logic is same: if a user connects/plug-in some device, he want to use it.

In a later version of these patches I have removed this functionality
from m-s-on-c and put it into a separate module. I haven't posted that
here yet as I didn't think it would be much reason to do so before 1.0
is released.
But all of this is somewhat intermediate, and pending the priority lists
Colin plans to implement.

For the requirement of "the latest connected device has highest
priority", how do you intend to solve the problem of not knowing when
the system is "up", as outlined in the
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/pulseaudio-discuss/2011-September/011229.html
thread?

--