[pulseaudio-discuss] handle_underrun discussion over on wine-devel

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Sep 9 05:56:19 PDT 2011

FYI, the wine audio guys are discussing how/whether to report a bug
against pulseaudio:

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2011-September/092159.html
"From: Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
What is the PulseAudio underrun bug?
As I see that the PA team is preparing release candidates for 1.0, I
wonder whether the Wine team communicated them the issues we face.
Browsing open tickets http://pulseaudio.org/report/1 I found nothing obvious.
The PA bug, as I face it in Ubuntu Lucid, is not something that
happens randomly after N minutes or hours.  It is *immediately*
detectable.
Symptoms:
1. winecfg audio test hangs.
But Wine is a complex program, so I wrote a trivial one as follows:
 - set generic hw_params
 - prefill snd_pcm_write with e.g. 100ms of data;
 - start ALSA or use hw_params_set_start_threshold;
 - print out snd_pcm_state, snd_pcm_avail_update and snd_pcm_delay in a loop.
2. avail_update and avail_delay will freeze approx. at the time
   underrun would have happened with plug:dmix or plughw:0.
   In particular, delay will not decrease below < 0.
..."
See also
http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-devel/2011-September/092160.html