[pulseaudio-discuss] gnome-shell hangs, waiting for pulse-audio

Henrik /KaarPoSoft henrik at kaarposoft.dk
Tue Dec 4 02:49:14 PST 2012

On 12/04/12 04:32, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 03:47 +0200, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>> Hmm... I checked when the operation state is set to DONE, and it's not
>> done until after calling the callback. So, if the kernel schedules the
>> main thread after the pa_threaded_mainloop_signal() call, but before the
>> operation state is set to DONE, the main thread will get stuck. It's a
>> bug in libcanberra. I'll try to come up with a patch for that.
> I've attached a patch. Henrik, could you test it? libcanberra source
> code can be retrieved with
>
>      git clone git://git.0pointer.de/libcanberra

Thank you very much for the analysis and patch.
I really appreciate your help on this.

First, I removed the desktop-switch sound files again.

Just for good measure, I tried this 3 times *without* the patch:
- open gnome-terminal, press backspace twice to get two beeps
- open firefox and play HTML5 video from youtube
- close firefox, then close gnome-terminal
In all three cases the desktop froze as expected.

Now *with* the patch (and after reboot), I tried the above again.
And you and behold, no freeze, and a big smile on my face.

However, I repeated the steps immediatly (no logout or similar), and now
the desktop froze )-:

I rebooted and tried again.
This time I had to repeat three times to get the freeze.
Syslog and backtraces attached.

So, I am guessing that you found the reason for the trouble, but that
the patch did not manage to solve it.

A strange observation:
When I press backspace the first time in gnome-terminal (*only* the
first time, and *only* in the first gnome-terminal opened) it seems that
I get *two* beeps (slightly overlapping).
This seems to be consistent when running *with* the patch, but I never
noticed it (although it might have been there) *without* the patch.

Anyway, I have another problem, and I am starting to think that it is
related to this one.

Every now and again - maybe 1 out of 10 or 1 out of 20 - *without* the
patch I experience this:
gdm shows login screen
I select my user and enter the password and press enter or click login
The screen freezes for about a minute, and then the login continues
successfully.

Now *with* the patch, this seems to happen on roughly half of my logins!

syslog attached.
When the login screen froze I switched to another Virtual Terminal and
put WAITING in the syslog.
You will find this around line 1182, just to give a time reference.

It seems that gdm is telling "Client1" to die, but it does not die, and
so gdm is timing out...
As far as I can tell the "Client1" is the gnome-shell used by gdm, which
is why I am guessing the problems are related.

Any further help would be most appreciated.

/Henrik