[pulseaudio-discuss] want to know how to prevent pulse audio from connecting to an external USB sound card

Bill Turner, WB4ALM wb4alm at arrl.net
Fri Dec 28 05:54:32 PST 2012

I am a Radio Ham, and have an external USB sound card (SignaLink USB)
that functions as a control device for one of my Radio Amateur
Transmitters.  The Signalink USB acts as an interface between the
transceivers mike input and speaker output and allows me to encode and
decode digital signals sent over the air with any of a series of
computer programs. (I prefer the use of "fldigi")

I have had the Signalink for about a month, and it works great - EXCEPT
when pulseaudio "attaches" it as an audio card to be controlled...

I can not figure out how to keep my Ubuntu 12.10 system from
interferring with the intended use of this card.

The Signalink USB card should only be accessed by an application using
"PortControl" which will generally identifies the card as:
"USB AUDIO CODEC: USB Audio (hw:1,0)"
"USB AUDIO CODEC: USB Audio (hw:2,0)"

- - -

My motherboard has onboard audio support, and when pulseaudio "attaches"
the external audio card, it does not attach the NVIDA system audio...
HDA NVIDIA ALC883 analog (hw:0,0)
HDA NVIDIA ALC883 analog (hw:0,2)

- - -

If it makes a difference, I also have a PCI TV card installed which
contains two audio sources:
Brooktree BT878 BT87x digital (hw:1,0)
Brooktree BT878 BT87x Analog (hw:1,1)

(I have not heard audio from this card in quite a while.)

amy help would be appreciated.

/s/ Bill Turner, wb4alm