[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulse Audio, JACK and Google Talk

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Jan 11 13:47:11 PST 2012

On 2012-01-11 20:56, Tony Austin wrote:
> I hope this is the right place to raise this topic.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 11.10 which installs Pulse and JACK by default.
> Sound works fine with most things but not with Google Talk.  To get
> sound to work with GT I have to Quit JACK.

Jack (the daemon, not the library) is not installed by default in Ubuntu
11.10. Maybe you installed something else that pulled it in as a
dependency.

But anyway, the server should not be started unless you run a program
that requires JACK, which is the essence of the problem here.

> I have read that if I can configure Pulse correctly that GT can be made
> to work with JACK running.

It should work out of the box, with module-jackdbus-detect enabled as
the default; but we're not there yet. Still bugs to fix last time I checked.

> 1.  Should my user be a member of the "audio" group or not?  I have
> found both as recommended.

No.

> 2.  Do I need to enable Simultaneous Output in PA Preferences?

No.

> 3.  If I do enable Simultaneous Output I can't start pulseaudio:
>
> tony at ubuntu:~$ pulseaudio -D
> E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.
> tony at ubuntu:~$ pulseaudio
> W: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
> W: [pulseaudio] module.c: module-combine is deprecated: Please use
> module-combine-sink instead of module-combine!
> W: [pulseaudio] module-combine.c: We will now load module-combine-sink.
> Please make sure to remove module-combine from your configuration.
> Killed

That looks like a crash/bug though, that might be worth investigating
further.

--
David Henningsson
http://launchpad.net/~diwic