[pulseaudio-discuss] Making USB DAC the default sink

Jeffrey Barish jeff_barish at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 23 16:53:58 PST 2012

On Thursday, December 15, 2011 09:00:33 am Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Jeffrey Barish at 15/12/11 15:30 did gyre and gimble:
> > On Thu 15 06:48:25 Colin Guthrie wrote:
> >> 'Twas brillig, and Dalleau, Frederic at 15/12/11 09:57 did gyre and
gimble:

> >> Yup, this is the short term solution.
> >>
> >> In the future (next 6 months hopefully) then the priority list routing
> >> system should make this a bit easier to configure.
> >>

> >> Col
> >
> > module-switch-on-connect looks perfect, but I don't seem to have it.  I
> > am running version 0.9.21-63-gd3efa-dirty (on Ubuntu Server 10.10).
> > What do I need to do to get module-switch-on-connect?
>
> You need to update to PA 1.0+ (we recommend PA 1.1. It should be quite
> easy to build for older distros as only one additional dep in json-c.
>
> All the best.
>
> Col

The version of pulseaudio available at the Ubuntu repository recently went
to 1:0.9.22, so it appears that I can now try using this feature.  Before I
install pulseaudio, however, I am wondering what happens when I disconnect
the USB DAC.  Here's the scenario about which I am wondering: I start with
nothing connected.  Sound comes out the internal DAC.  I connect a USB DAC.
 module-switch-on-connect detects the connection of a new device and
reroutes sound to the USB DAC.  Good, so far.  Now I disconnect the USB
DAC.  From the name of the module -- "module-switch-on-*connect*" -- it
isn't clear to me what happens.  I hope that the module also switches on *
dis*connect so that the sound will revert to the internal DAC.  I do not
anticipate connecting any other audio sinks, so I can probably manage for
now, at least, without a more general priority scheme -- depending on the
answer to my question, of course.

--
Jeffrey Barish