[pulseaudio-discuss] Changes to deal with modem PCMs

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Mon Jul 23 13:05:25 PDT 2012

On 7/23/2012 3:57 AM, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> Hello,
> While discussion on how we should deal with hardware with different
> requirements from standard desktop cases continues, I'd like to solve the
> problem of having modem PCMs that we don't want to auto-suspend in the near
> future. For this, I've attached a couple of patches that allow a sink or source
> to be flagged as "always running" which would cause suspend to be avoided if
> possible.
>
> Any objections?
Yes. These devices are used to open connections to modems without
receiving any data from userspace.
I don't think PulseAudio should flag specific sinks this way, somehow
the information should be available at the ALSA level that such devices
do not provide/expect any data and should not be suspended. This
information is available at the kernel level (no_pcm flag or something),
it should be made available to user-space.
-Pierre