[pulseaudio-discuss] status report from Deng Zhengrong Jun 15th

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Jun 21 00:14:51 PDT 2012

On 06/15/2012 04:24 PM, rong deng wrote:
> 2. write a first version of ring buffer log support. Now we have a per
> thread log pool. So therefore different threads would not be blocked
> for a long time. However, as in the current (first) implementation,
> the log reading has to block other log writing. But remember, the log
> reading doesn't happen much often, so I think we can bear with it.

Actually, you can write a lock free ring buffer with one consumer and
one producer, and the consumer and producer being in separate threads.

> Besides, in order to make it an advanced option to use, I've also
> added another log target called "ring". The default log target is to
> send the logs to stderr, but after we call "pacmd set-log-target ring"
> we can make it log all the logs into the new ring buffer. and to read
> the log, we can use "pactl log" to get the all the logs. Nice? :)

Can you give a practical example of how you envision this being
practically useful? I'm not saying there isn't a use case, just that I
don't see it right now. :-)

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic