[pulseaudio-discuss] asoundrc, configure one virtual device for both input and output

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sat Jun 30 00:47:40 PDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 03:37 +0900, Amar Akshat wrote:
> > Do you reopen the audio stream when the routing changes? I guess you
> > have to do that, since ALSA doesn't provide a mechanism to move a live
> > stream from one device to another. You could then set the PULSE_SINK and
> > PULSE_SOURCE environment variables prior to opening a new stream - that
> > way you could use just "default", and the routing would be controlled by
> > those environment variables. I asked about reopening the streams,
> > because the environment variables only have effect when you create a new
> > stream.
>
> Thats true, my sip stack, reopens the audio stream when routing
> changes, infact, my sip-stack creates audio stream for every call.
> I have a doubt, when we pass "default"  as the sound device, does the
> pulseaudio refer to PULSE_SINK and PULSE_SOURCE environment variables
> internally to identify sink/source? If yes, then I guess setting these
> variables can do the trick for me.

Yes, libpulse uses those environment variables internally. libpulse is
used by the "pulse" alsa plugin.

Is the GUI in a different process than the sip stack? If yes, then the
environment variables have to be set by the sip stack. Are you able to
alter the sip stack, or are you only doing the GUI part?