[pulseaudio-discuss] Wiki Migration: Complete

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Mar 8 02:50:44 PST 2012

'Twas brillig, and David Henningsson at 08/03/12 05:05 did gyre and gimble:
> On 03/07/2012 08:59 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've just announced here:
>>    http://colin.guthr.ie/2012/03/what-sound-does-a-wiki-make/
>> that we've now finished migrating the wiki content to the
>> freedesktop.org wiki space over at
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio
>
> \o/ Thanks Colin! I guess Lennart will also thank you for increasing the
> uptime on his server ;-)

Only if he actually actions the Redirects I've given him! Hopefully
he'll get round to this very soon :)

>> http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/BeforeReporting
>> ------------------Combine with Troubleshooting?
>
> Or link from Troubleshooting. Still separate topics IMO.

Different topics yes, but looking at the content on that old page, it's
more Troubleshooting tips than any guidance about reporting.

>> http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/DependenciesListDistroSpecific
>> ------------------Drop?
>
> For just recompiling PulseAudio, "sudo apt-get build-dep pulseaudio"
> will download all necessary -dev packages, however, if you're compiling
> a newer PulseAudio (with more dependencies) on an older release, the
> information might still be relevant.

Perhaps, but it's seems a little too wordy. The current kind of advice
is IMO too specific and goes out of date too quickly. The command you
mention above is enough docs for our wiki I reckon along with a generic
warning about all distros: "When building a newer version of PulseAudio
that that shipped by your distro you may find that some new development
libraries are needed. These new dependencies will be announced by the
PulseAudio project, so keep up to date with any announcements of this
nature if you are living on the bleeding edge."

I think this is sufficient to cover all bases.

>> http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/Incompatibilities
>> ------------------Combine with Requirements
>
> Or at least with KnownIncompatibilities...

Possibly. Which ever fits best, but really it's 98% the same content as
is shown on Requirements.

>> http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/ModulesTOC
>> ------------------Combine with Modules
>>
>> http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetupTOC
>> ------------------Drop?
>>
>> http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/TroubleshootingTOC
>> ------------------Drop?
>
> For these TOC pages, I guess they were those yellow boxes on the right
> on some of the pages? It's a nice-to-have but far from necessary - and I
> believe moin can autogenerate these using the <<TableOfContents>> tag?
> At least it does so on the Ubuntu wiki.

Yeah exactly. Trac could do this too, but sometimes it wasn't perfect
hence the manual tocs in some cases. Either way, I think using automatic
tocs is best whenever possible.

If we need a manual one, we can just do it pretty much the same was as
before by including the toc page.

Cheers :)

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/