[pulseaudio-discuss] Cannot open shared library libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so

John Haxby jch at thehaxbys.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 05:52:23 PST 2012

On 09/03/12 13:30, F. Heitkamp wrote:
> I get these messages a lot:
>
> ALSA lib dlmisc.c:236:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared
> library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
>
> bash-4.2$ file  /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
> /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared
> object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, not stripped
>
> I am using alsa-lib and alsa-plugins 1.0.25, pulseaudio from git, and
> a echo Gina3g.  Pulse audio complains I have to many PCM channels (9).
>
> Any thoughts?

I'd guess that you have managed to get alsa-lib linking against
something that doesn't exist or is unreadable.

Check the permissions on /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
and also that ldd doesn't report any files not found.   If they are all
found, check the permisisons on all of them.

Also, the file in question is 32 bit.   Hopefully that is the intention :)

That's just general linux stuff, there may be specific alsa reasons why
it's not working.

jch