No subject

Fri Mar 16 02:13:09 PDT 2012

other devices, so it should be easy to override.

Cheers, chr

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Micha=C5=82 Sawicz <michal at sawicz.net> wro=
te:

> Dnia 2012-03-16, pi=C4=85 o godzinie 09:51 +0100, Tom Gundersen pisze:
> > I guess a common case is to connect to a TV over HDMI, and that most
> > TV's correctly report audio capabilities (as they have at least an
> > inbuilt 10W speaker). However, unless the TV is connected to proper
> > external speakers (which I guess we cannot tell?), I assume the HDMI
> > audio should be the last preference and not be switched to
> > automatically?
>
> What's more, the TVs usually won't relay (at least pass-through) sound
> that's coming to it over HDMI to external amplifiers. But if you have an
> external amplifier, you will most likely connect through it anyway.
>
> I'm thinking the only use-case when switching to HDMI audio would not be
> desirable would be when you use a different connection (say, SPDIF) to
> an amplifier.
>
> BTW, do optical connectors support sensing at all?
> --
> Micha=C5=82 Sawicz <michal at sawicz.net>

--047d7b339b8df8ceb304bb58f825

Hi everyone, from the user perspective I guess that the most common use cas=
e is connecting a laptop to a TV. In this case the automatic switching of t=
he audio would be sensible. If someone has a sound system chances are has a=
lready better ways to play media (consoles, media centers, etc) and If Ubun=
tu is used in a box as media center, asking to the user to change the confi=
guration only once when set it up is not much to ask.<div>

 different on other devices, so it should be easy to override.</div><div><b=
lass=3D"gmail_quote">

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Micha=C5=82 Sawicz <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<=