[pulseaudio-discuss] Auto-switching to and from HDMI ports (audio)

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Mon Mar 19 05:22:18 PDT 2012

On 03/16/2012 03:37 PM, Dennis Chua wrote:
> Thanks, David, for opening up this discussion.

Thanks to everyone for their inputs.

Trying to sum a bit, I believe option 1 is best at this point:

 >>      * no auto switching between HDMI and analog outputs at all. This
 >>      is probably the simplest option. But maybe this is not the most
 >>      user friendly option?

The main reasoning for this is stability and time. We're closing in on
releases for both PulseAudio 2.0 and Ubuntu 12.04, and stability must
the primary focus here. I have also put some extra weight on Colin's
advice here, as he is the one who has been the most into these issues
before.

Also, because this is a temporary solution, I might not want to spend
more time than necessary on a solution, and this solution is simple to
implement and consistent (i e, same on discrete HDMI cards and HDMI
cards shared with analog outs).

Looking forward to future releases, where priority lists are part of
PulseAudio core, multi-monitor experience is improving in Ubuntu, we
might have the notifications Dennis suggests, and so on, it probably
makes sense to do something more elegant and then revisit this discussion.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic