[pulseaudio-discuss] Trying to update translations

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Mar 23 09:02:59 PDT 2012

	Hej David,

Le vendredi 23 mars 2012 17:50:01 David Henningsson, vous avez écrit :
> So I tried to update the Swedish translation, and it feels like things
> are not that great.
>
> First and foremost, a lot of entries are marked "fuzzy". In 90% of the
> cases, these are plain wrong and are better left without translation at
> all. Example:

msgmerge automatically suggests translations for similar text, and marks it
fuzzy. This is not specific to PulseAudio. And this is definitely not ground
for putting the previous translator(s) to shame, or to vent frustration on the
mailing list. This is simply how translation files automatiaclly become when
they are not maintained.

> #: ../src/utils/pacmd.c:184
> #, fuzzy, c-format
> msgid "poll(): %s"
> msgstr "fork(): %s"
>
> ...and this brokenness is the rule, not the exception. (And in the
> example above one can wonder why a translation was made in the first
> place.) In some cases these do not even fit their format strings. Btw, I
> have seen some crashes in pa_log_level_meta lately, I wonder if this is
> related?

Normally, gettext ignores fuzzy translations at run-time. I think they are not
even compiled into the binary translation file, though I have not checked.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/