[pulseaudio-discuss] jackdbus module, pulse fails to conform on device reservation API

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 03:47:22 PST 2012

On 5 November 2012 12:49, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 November 2012 11:23, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to get a Jack DBUS setup working on Fedora 18. It seems
>> pulse refuses to release the audio device when it gets a dbus request
>> from jack:
>>
>> Sat Nov  3 20:08:11 2012:  [1m [31mERROR: Failed to acquire device
>> name : Audio1 error : Method "RequestRelease" with signature "i" on
>> interface "org.freedesktop.ReserveDevice1" doesn't exist
>>  [0m
>> Sat Nov  3 20:08:11 2012:  [1m [31mERROR: Audio device hw:1 cannot be
>> acquired... [0m

>> If pulse is running but doesn't have the device then jack starts okay
>> and the sink/source modules get loaded.

> Some further information from one of Fedora's pulse co-maintainers
> Brendan Jones:

>> It seems that the module-esound-protocol is loaded be default. It takes a lock
>> on the device (see ls /tmp.esd*) which seems to stop it from allowing pusle to
>> release the device.
>
> I haven't had time to check this yet, but even if it's true the
> message 'Method "RequestRelease" with signature "i" on interface
> "org.freedesktop.ReserveDevice1" doesn't exist' seems to suggest that
> the dbus interface is not working properly anyway.

Having checked I now think that's correct: the esound module may have
issues and cause the lock to be held longer than normal, but not
not responding to '"RequestRelease" with signature "i"'. I've had a
dig around in src/modules/reserve.c and can't see anything obviously
wrong there. It's included by the alsa-card module. If anyone can
offer information on how to investigate this further, for example dbus
introspection to try or how to test dbus method requests to pulse, it
would be appreciated. At the moment for our music creation spin
(Fedora Jam) I can only recommend we disable pulse because a working
Jack setup is more important.

Thanks,
--
imalone