[pulseaudio-discuss] Delay pulseaudio startup in GNOME

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Nov 20 11:52:56 PST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Martin Pitt at 19/11/12 05:40 did gyre and gimble:
> But it seems eventually PA should make up its mind whether it wants to
> use library or .desktop file based startup?

It's not quite as simple as this as both (in combination) have valid
reasons.

e.g. in the (admittedly unlikely but still perfectly possible) situation
that a user logins in on a text terminal and starts an audio application
(mpd or some mixer or just even a simple mpg123 run etc), then PA will
be audiospawned. After the client exits it will then stick around for 20
or 30 seconds until it's idle-timeout trips and it exits.

If the user runs startx or switches to their DM during this period, PA
is already started. The XDG scripts should gloss over that fact and
allow the loading of the specific X11 modules on the correct $DESKTOP.

This also applies if a user logs out and then back in again before the
timeout, or when the user logs in on multiple DESKTOPS (assuming that is
allowed) in which case we need a copy of the various X11 modules on each
$DESKTOP.

All that said, I agree that a more unified solution would be nice.

Longer term, all the needed info is currently made available via
module-systemd-login (and I believe Ubuntu are going to support
systemd-logind running (hopefully directly as a binary from the systemd
tree, but if not as a compatible interface). In this case some internal
magic can make sure the necessary modules are loaded with the
appropriate XDG_SESSION_ID+DESKTOP variables set. This might come
hand-in-hand with some config file rejigs discussed recently, although
it's all vapour-patches at present.

  Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/