[pulseaudio-discuss] gnome-shell hangs, waiting for pulse-audio

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Mon Nov 26 05:30:58 PST 2012

On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 22:25 +0200, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> So gnome-shell doesn't want to log to syslog? I've attached a pulseaudio
> patch that makes gnome-shell log to files under /tmp. Btw, I now noticed
> that running "gnome-shell --replace" restarts gnome-shell and makes the
> log from the new instance go to the current terminal.

When I started my computer today, I found out that the patch causes a
segfault during the gnome session startup, so X wouldn't come up. I've
attached a fixed patch. Another note is that the patch doesn't work for
the initial instance of gnome-shell. I'd guess that's because the "_"
environment variable isn't set during the session startup. The patch
should probably read the executable from /proc/self/cmdline rather than
the "_" environment variable. I can do that change if necessary, but
given that "gnome-shell --replace" works for getting the log anyway,
maybe the whole patch is unnecessary.