[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth regression: a2dp not selectable

Mikel Astiz mikel.astiz.oss at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 09:27:23 PST 2012

Hi David,

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 10:15 AM, David Henningsson
<david.henningsson at canonical.com> wrote:
> On 11/23/2012 05:27 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 2012-11-23 at 16:40 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
>>>
>>> Under PulseAudio 2.1 I can select a2dp without problem.
>>>
>>> Under PulseAudio 2.99.2, when I execute "pactl set-card-profile 1 a2dp"
>>> I get "Failure: Input/Output Error" back (as the output from pactl), and
>>> I see the following in PulseAudio's log:
>>>
>>> module-bluetooth-device.c: Profile has no transport
>>>
>>> ...and the profile is not changed to a2dp. Anyone want to debug with me?
>>

>> I can try to help, if it's not too late? You seem to have left IRC.
>

> Thanks, I'll be around today.
>

>> I'm not able reproduce this with my headset.
>

> Ok. I've done some minor debugging myself, but haven't got much. The
> pulseaudio debug log is here: http://pastebin.se/s3CIWSl0
> At the same time I get these messages in syslog: http://pastebin.se/bilI1XGX
>
> It looks like bluetoothd does find the A2DP Sink (and source?!), but then
> there is no callback to PulseAudio to register the transport, because this
> part is only shown for HSP, not for A2DP:
>
> D: [lt-pulseaudio] bluetooth-util.c: dbus:
> interface=org.bluez.MediaEndpoint, path=/MediaEndpoint/HFPAG,
> member=SetConfiguration
> D: [lt-pulseaudio] bluetooth-util.c: dbus:
> interface=org.bluez.MediaEndpoint, path=/MediaEndpoint/HFPAG,
> member=SetConfiguration
> D: [lt-pulseaudio] bluetooth-util.c: Transport
> /org/bluez/634/hci0/dev_00_18_91_3A_B6_EC/fd3 profile 2 available

Just to make sure... can you confirm that the device was paired before
PA was started? There is a potential issue immediately after pairing,
but this would be no regression and nobody has complaint so far.

Assuming the device was already paired, can you check if A2DP profile
is connected before and after this problem? You can see this in
BlueZ's AudioSink.GetProperties(), property "State".

I can't see anything strange in the log, so my best guess is that A2DP
is actually disconnected? In this case the behavior would be the
expected one. This could typically happen if you shut PA down and then
restart it: HSP would still be connected but not A2DP. In this case
you can't use Audio.Connect() to connect the device, since it'll
complain with AlreadyConnected (since Audio.State == "connected"
represents that at least one of the profiles is connected). Therefore
AudioSink.Connect() would solve the issue.

It's a long shot but anyway...

Cheers,
Mikel