[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio seems to hang in pthread_join() if the libc.so.6 is using linuxthreads-0.10

Croach croach at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 03:47:33 PDT 2012

Hi,

I have do porting PulseAudio to the powerpc platform, and PulseAudio
hangs if I use the command to start "pulseaudio --start --daemonize."
I have use gdb to trace the process, and the main thread hangs in the
pthread_join(), which is called in lock-autospawn.

The libc.so.6 of this powerpc platform is consisted of the following extensions:
  Available extensions:
        GNU libio by Per Bothner
        crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
        linuxthreads-0.10 by Xavier Leroy
        spe-0.1 by Aldy Hernandez
        BIND-8.2.3-T5B
        libthread_db work sponsored by Alpha Processor Inc
        NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk

Pulseaudio works fine on another powerpc platform, and the information
of the libc.so.6 is:
  Available extensions:
	crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
	GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
	Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al
	Support for some architectures added on, not maintained in glibc core.
	BIND-8.2.3-T5B

I have do some tests on other platforms with different version of
libc.so.6, and PulseAudio always hangs on the platforms that libc.so
is using linuxthreads-0.10.
Is it the problem of the pthread lib?
I think I can solve this issus by changing the libc.so.6.
However, many of our applications are built on this libc.so, so I
would like to know if there's any other solution?

Thanks for any help.
Croach Chang