[pulseaudio-discuss] a question about audio synchronization between local sink and tunnel sink

Sun, Xiaodong xisun at qca.qualcomm.com
Thu Oct 25 16:50:39 PDT 2012

Tanu,

I have modified code like this in module-combine-sink.c after exchanging idea with you.

In function sink_input_pop_cb():  add these lines before calling request_memblock()

    if (o->just_attached) {
        pa_usec_t sink_input_latency, sink_latency, total_latency1, total_latency2;
        struct output *j;

        sink_input_latency = pa_sink_input_get_latency_within_thread(i, &sink_latency);
        sink_input_latency += sink_latency;
        total_latency1 = sink_input_latency + pa_bytes_to_usec(pa_memblockq_get_length(o->memblockq), &o->sink_input->sample_spec);
        pa_log_warn("[%s] latency %0.2fms, output buffer latency %0.2fms.", o->sink_input->sink->name, (double)total_latency1/PA_USEC_PER_MSEC, (double)(total_latency1-sink_input_latency)/PA_USEC_PER_MSEC);

        /* OK, let's send this data to the other threads */
        PA_LLIST_FOREACH(j, o->userdata->thread_info.active_outputs) {
            if (j != o) {
                sink_input_latency = pa_sink_input_get_latency_within_thread(j->sink_input, &sink_latency);
                sink_input_latency += sink_latency;
                total_latency2 = sink_input_latency + pa_bytes_to_usec(pa_memblockq_get_length(j->memblockq), &j->sink_input->sample_spec);
                pa_log_warn("Peer: [%s] latency %0.2fms, output buffer latency %0.2fms.", j->sink_input->sink->name, (double)total_latency2/PA_USEC_PER_MSEC, (double)(total_latency2-sink_input_latency)/PA_USEC_PER_MSEC);
                if (total_latency1 > total_latency2)
                    pa_memblockq_drop(o->memblockq, pa_usec_to_bytes(total_latency1-total_latency2, &o->sink_input->sample_spec));
                else if (total_latency1 < total_latency2)
                    pa_memblockq_rewind(o->memblockq, pa_usec_to_bytes(total_latency2-total_latency1, &o->sink_input->sample_spec));
                break;
            }
        }

        o->just_attached = 0;
    }

In function sink_input_attach_cb(): add  o->just_attached = 1;

In function sink_input_detach_cb(): add  o->just_attached = 0;

Then I got following logs when playing audio. Of course un-synchronization issue is still there.

W: [module-tunnel] module-combine-sink.c: [tunnel_sink] attached
W: [module-tunnel] module-combine-sink.c: [tunnel_sink] latency 0.00ms, output buffer latency 0.00ms.
W: [alsa-sink] module-combine-sink.c: [alsa_output] attached
W: [alsa-sink] module-combine-sink.c: [alsa_output] latency 0.88ms, output buffer latency 0.00ms.
W: [alsa-sink] module-combine-sink.c: Peer: [tunnel_sink] latency 0.00ms, output buffer latency 0.00ms.
W: [pulseaudio] module-combine-sink.c: [alsa_output] sample rates too different, not adjusting (44100 vs. 33380).
W: [pulseaudio] module-combine-sink.c: [alsa_output] sample rates too different, not adjusting (44100 vs. 28907).
W: [pulseaudio] module-combine-sink.c: [alsa_output] sample rates too different, not adjusting (44100 vs. 31788).

From these logs, we can tell tunnel sink's sink-input is attached first and its pop_cb function is called before alsa sink's sink-input is attached. When alsa sink's sink-input is attached and its pop_cb function is called, the tunnel sink's latency is still 0. It could be because the gap between alsa sink attachment and tunnel sink attached is too small and tunnel sink's buffer is still empty. The latency at this time doesn't show the real latency that sink has. So this method doesn't work. Actually this method only works when the other attached sinks are already in stable playback status, meaning its latency is constantly stable, before new sink is attached.

For my previous questions about sink and sink-input. My intention is to ask what is the difference between sink and sink-input. I saw both of them are actually object instances which can register and accept messages. After spending more time on reading the code, I seems to know the difference now. Sink is actually a real/virtual sink module instance which normally has a separate thread attached and can poll and process async messages to it. While sink-input is corresponding sink's representative at the other end of buffer. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks!

- Xiaodong