[pulseaudio-discuss] strange pulse / jack behaviour

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Oct 29 02:59:05 PDT 2012

Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts on why the following is happening?

Using Debian wheezy on an intel board with built in HDA chipset. (Notebook
sound card)

I was unable to start jack. It seemed like the problem might have been
because pulse was running so I killed pulse with "pulseaudio -k". That
didn't help. I installed pulseaudio-module-jack and configured
/etc/pulse/default.pa to include

load-module module-jack-sink
load-module module-jack-source

restarted pulseaudio with pulseaudio -k ; pulseaudio and it attempted to
start jack server but was not able to. At that point I was unable to get
pulseaudio to start at all or jack so I decided to reboot in case it was a
kernel oops.

After rebooting pulseaudio still would not start. I tried a couple of
options but in the end I had to run "pulseaudio --system -D" as superuser.
After doing that jackd would run from qjackctl but there are not
pulse-sink/source connections in jack probably because pulse is running as
superuser but I'm not 100% on the exact reason for this behaviour. I can
see that pulseaudio is running with "ps aux".

If recent feedback on LAU list anything to go by it seems that I'm not the
only one who has encountered issues similar to this recently.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd