[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio Mini-Conference: Call for topics

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Wed Sep 19 10:36:56 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-09-19 at 16:03 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> Ok, I'll start with some topics I would like to have discussed and/or
> decided upon at our conference.

Here are some more:

  * Separate configuration for hw adaptation, core and policy

In the non-desktop world there is often a need to ship different
configuration files for different hardware, and also different UIs may
need different pulseaudio policy configuration (I think this latter
point potentially applies also to the desktop world). This can be solved
with some packaging tricks, but I would like to make things easier by
having the separation also in upstream.

  * Combining system-wide and per-user modes

I think the hardware should be accessed by a system-wide pulseaudio
instance. This would finally solve the issue that root/mpd/whatever
can't have sound while someone else is logged in. The drawbacks of the
system-wide mode can be avoided by having also per-user instances taking
care of the per-user stuff.

  * Is there any way we can increase the patch review capacity?

The pile of unreviewed patches keeps growing. I don't have much ideas
for improving this beyond "just work harder", but maybe someone else
does...