[pulseaudio-discuss] purpose of pa_core_check_idle()

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Sat Aug 10 01:56:06 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-08-08 at 20:50 +0530, Mohan R wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for one of my purpose, I have to stop the pulseaudio process started
> with my gnome-session and started a new pulseaudio process as different
> user then the current gnome-session user using below commandline, (both
> users have autospawn=no, daemon-binary=/bin/true in their
> respective .config/pulse/client.conf)
>
> pulseaudio --start --daemonize --log-target=file:pulseaudio.log
> --log-level=debug --log-meta --log-time
>
> Then I waited for 10mins, the new pulseaudio process still present. I
> started playing a gst pipeline, even though I didn't hear any sound, the
> pipeline was playing without any issue and finished properly.
>
> After few seconds, I played the same gst pipeline again, this time it
> showed some error "Internal streaming error". When I looked into gst
> debug logs, pulsesink0 says "connection refused", then I checked pulse
> process. it was gone.
>
> The log says,
>
> ( 593.952|  15.009) I: [pulseaudio][pulsecore/core.c:223 exit_callback()] We are idle, quitting...
> ( 593.952|   0.000) I: [pulseaudio][daemon/main.c:1148 main()] Daemon shutdown initiated.
>
> I'm not sure why pulseaudio goes down itself after a playback. Is it a bug? or am I doing something wrong?

It's not a bug. We shut down automatically to avoid running forever, if
pulseaudio was started via autospawning in an environment that doesn't
have proper session management (e.g. non-graphical console login,
although I suppose nowadays also the console login may have session
management).

If you want to disable automatic exiting, set exit-idle-time = -1 in
daemon.conf, or pass --exit-idle-time=-1 on the command line.