[pulseaudio-discuss] Sever stutter on pulse over network

Tanu Kaskinen tanuk at iki.fi
Sun Jan 20 23:01:52 PST 2013

On Sat, 2013-01-19 at 20:30 -0500, zeltak wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> im have been have this issue with pulse over a network for a long long time
> and finally decided to actually seek help :)
> i have a usb dac connected to my acrh linux box which i stream audio from
> my laptop. everything works well apart that every X minutes (usually 1-2) i
> get a series short of stuttering
> this has been going on for quite a while now. i tried a different
> router,tried over wired connection etc with no success
> anyone ever heard of such an issue and maybe help me try to debug
> this?
>
> attached is my  default.pa for both server and client
>
> http://paste.xinu.at/Z7jfHY/
>
> http://paste.xinu.at/zSqWVz/

The tunnel module (loaded by module-zeroconf-discover) is a bit crap,
sadly. I don't think there's anything you can do about it, short of
fixing the code.

Instead of using tunnels, you can also connect the audio application
directly to the remote pulseaudio. This method usually has fewer
drop-outs. To do this, set the PULSE_SERVER environment variable when
running the application that you use. PULSE_SERVER can contain the IP
address or the domain name of the remote machine.

This command, for example, runs totem so that the output goes to
pulseaudio server listening at 10.0.0.3:

PULSE_SERVER=10.0.0.3 totem ~/music/leila_k__cmon_now.ogg