[pulseaudio-discuss] Handling JACK driver switching

Nathan Hulse nat.hulse at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 28 06:09:39 PST 2013

On 28 January 2013 05:47, Tanu Kaskinen <tanuk at iki.fi> wrote:

> Please use the "Reply to All" functionality of your mail client when
> having discussions on a mailing list. I've added pulseaudio-discuss to
> CC again.

My apologies, it's been a while since I used one.

> On Mon, 2013-01-28 at 02:36 +0000, Nathan Hulse wrote:
> > The pulse hooks are just the default ones in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d
> > that ship with pulse 2.0.
>
> Ok, I wasn't aware of this directory (I have it too, though). If you
> have pulseaudio files there, those are provided by your distribution.
> Upstream pulseaudio doesn't ship any pm scripts.

Ah, yes, of course. And it would almost be ironic if upstream pulseaudio
were including support for pm-utils, given the existence and direction of
systemd!

> > The jack backend is switched from firewire to dummy before suspend, so
> > that I can unload firewire_ohci from the kernel. I load firewire_ohci
> > again at resume and then switch the jack backend to firewire again.
> > But this all happens inbetween pulse saving and restoring state.
> >

> > Manually recreating the connection with the jack tools would be a pain
> > in the arse after every suspend/resume. The best solution I have found
> > thus far is to suspend the jack sink/source using pacmd, and then
> > reload module-jackdbus-detect in order to recreate the connections.
>
> Can't the connection recreation be scripted? But anyway, if reloading
> module-jackdbus-detect works ok for you, that's fine too. Just one
> thing: does unloading module-jackdbus-detect cause the old jack sink and
> source getting unloaded? I'd expect not, so don't you get duplicate jack
> sinks and sources after reloading module-jackdbus-detect?

Yep, I'll just script around the existing distro-supplied PA pm-utils
stuff. Initially, I simply verified that unloading/loading
module-jackdbus-detect worked as expected. It works very nicely, as it
happens; module-jackdbus-detect removes the jack sinks/sources as it is
unloaded, so there is no issue with duplication.

> --
> Tanu

Thanks for helping me work through this. This old aureon firewire is
actually now has better desktop integration under linux with
ffado/jack/pulse than it is under windows with the proprietory drivers. In
windows, there isn't even a possibility that I can get the aureon to handle
suspend/resume correctly; I have to pull the cable...

Nathan